9/7/2022 Update from Dr. G: Food service, Safety, Covid, Calendars
I hope you are all settling into your new school year routines. I look forward to seeing many of you at our upcoming Back to School nights! Our District was featured in News12’s education special, State of Our Schools. It is posted to our website and social media and can be viewed here.
Food Service Survey - Thank you to everyone who has already responded to the School Lunch Survey. If you still wish to share your feedback, please do so by noon on Friday, September 9.
Safety Teams - As part of the District’s overall Safety and Security strategy for the 2022-2023 school year, we have established a layered approach to our decision-making.
- The Board of Education appointed a District-wide Safety and Security Team at their August meeting. It is a large committee of various stakeholders whose job is to review our protocols at a very high level.
- Each school will have a school-based Building Level Emergency Response Team composed of only internal members of our staff. The Team will be responsible for enacting and overseeing specific procedures and protocols that are more sensitive in nature.
- A final layer of our work will include Building Level Safety Teams that will provide advice and counsel to the District and schools as we seek to enact the recommendations from our Safety and Security Audit. We are seeking 2-3 parents at each school with expertise in safety and/or security to assist us. If you are interested, please click here to complete the interest form by 9 am on Monday, September 12th and you will be contacted by the building principal. Please note, the team will meet at least quarterly, in-person, and during the day.
The District is planning a comprehensive update to the community with information from our audit at our September 21, 2022 Board of Education meeting. Our consultant, Altaris, will be leading that update with me.
Covid-19 - We have had a very smooth opening. It is so refreshing to have our schools running in the ways that are typical and without the restrictions of the past several years. We are definitely ready to turn the page while being respectful of the health of our community. The most recent information from the New York State Department of Education (NYSED) and the New York State Department of Health can be found on our website. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s nurse.
The following will serve as a guide as we move forward:
- As is true with any illness, please keep your children home until their symptoms improve and they are fever-free for at least 24 hours.
- Testing is recommended for anyone with symptoms of Covid-19 as soon as possible after symptoms begin. Our nursing team can provide you with a test, if needed.
Calendars - We expect that the 2022-2023 calendars will be delivered to the District tomorrow and distributed to the schools. They will be sent home with students in the coming days. Copies also will be available at the District Office, at the main office of each school, at the library, community center, and Town of Mount Pleasant.
With best regards,
Dr. Peter Giarrizzo
Superintendent of Schools